I’ve always associated this project with a landscape. Not real land, but the landa, the labored patch, the churned ground, the fertile & febrile territory of which this is but a poor map.
land·scape (la(nd’ska-p’) pronunciation
1. An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view: a desert landscape.
2. A picture depicting an expanse of scenery.
3. The branch of art dealing with the representation of natural scenery.
4. The aspect of the land characteristic of a particular region: a bleak New England winter landscape.
5. Grounds that have been landscaped: liked the house especially for its landscape.
6. An extensive mental view; an interior prospect: “They occupy the whole landscape of my thought” (James Thurber).
1. Of or relating to a landscape or landscapes: landscape painting.
2. Of or relating to landscaping: a nursery offering landscape services.
3. Of or relating to the orientation of a page such that the shorter side runs from top to bottom: printed the document in landscape mode in order to accommodate the wide columns of a table.
v., -scaped, -scap·ing, -scapes.
To adorn or improve (a section of ground) by contouring and by planting flowers, shrubs, or trees.
To arrange grounds artistically as a profession.
[Dutch landschap, from Middle Dutch landscap, region : land, land + -scap, state, condition (collective suff.).]
landscaper land’scap’er n.
WORD HISTORY Landscape, first recorded in 1598, was borrowed as a painters’ term from Dutch during the 16th century, when Dutch artists were pioneering the landscape genre. The Dutch word landschap had earlier meant simply “region, tract of land” but had acquired the artistic sense, which it brought over into English, of “a picture depicting scenery on land.” Interestingly, 34 years pass after the first recorded use of landscape in English before the word is used of a view or vista of natural scenery. This delay suggests that people were first introduced to landscapes in paintings and then saw landscapes in real life.
Translations for: Landscape
n. - landskab, tværformat
v. tr. - anlægge
v. intr. - anlægge
- landscape architect havearkitekt, landskabsarkitekt
- landscape gardener anlægsgartner, havearkitekt
landschap, foto/ schilderij van landschap, formaat waarbij breedte groter is dan hoogte, landschap verfraaien/ veranderen, tuinieren
n. - paysage, (Comput) orientation de l’imprimante
v. tr. - aménager (une propriété)
v. intr. - aménager (un jardin, une propriété)
- landscape architect architecte paysagiste
- landscape gardener paysagiste
n. - Landschaft
v. - durch Landschaftsgärtnerei verschönern
Edward Down &c
Charles Olson had insisted, in the wake of Pound, that where Europe had history to make poetry with, America must take geography.
Befunge is an esoteric programming language that differs from conventional languages in that programs are arranged on a two-dimensional grid. “Arrow” instructions direct the control flow to the left, right, up or down, and loops are constructed by sending the control flow in a cycle.